Who can open an RDSP?

If the beneficiary is a minor, another person can open an RDSP for the minor and become a holder if that person is:

a legal parent of the beneficiary;
a guardian, tutor, or curator of the beneficiary, or an individual who is legally authorized to act for the beneficiary; or
a public department, agency, or institution that is legally authorized to act for the beneficiary.

If the beneficiary has reached the age of majority and is legally able to enter into a contract, then a disability savings plan can be established for such a beneficiary by the beneficiary and/or the legal parent who is, at the time the plan is established, a holder of a pre-existing RDSP of the beneficiary.